[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Plasma coil?

Phil, In reply...

> Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever considered making a
> secondary coil out of gas filled glass, like a neon tube formed in
> the shape of a coil?  It seems to me that an excited gas that
> produces a plasma may be a pretty good conductor.  If nothing
> else, it might be good for a stage preformance.  Comments?

Tesla himself considered doing that if he didn't actually do it.
There is an illustration in the CSN outlining this scheme. The thought
of IR losses vs I^2.R is attractive, but considering that unloaded
secondary losses are so low anyway, is it worth the trouble? Might be
OK for a high frequency coil perhaps.

Malcolm