[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark energies

Tesla List wrote:

> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comThu Oct 31 22:48:03 1996
> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:57:25 -0800
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: spark energies
>
> I just got to thinkin' deeper over a "samich" at lunch.  In my post on
> spark energy, I would literaly have to account for all energies created
> by the sparks themselves in my scenario.
>
> Help me out guys.
>
> I have tried to think of all the posibilities, but doubt I have covered
> them all.  A mental conclave might be in order.  I have also opted for a
> large 15" spherical lucite ball which I have as the sparking chamber.
> This material is a poor conductor of heat and a blanket of R-19
> insulation over the ball should trap most of the heat within provided
> quick mesurements are made. I hope to use my little 15VA coil system on
> this one.
>
> I will, unfortunately, be unable to use a toroid in the chamber due to
> its thermal mass screwing with the air temperature. A small tungsten
> pointed needle will be the discharge point. (low thermal mass).
>
> As the spark rips through the air it disappates its energy in the form of
> light, noise, heat, and ion production (which ultimately winds up as heat
> as the ions recombine).  In air, sparks produce little RF energy, but a
> grounded arc channel produces short waves at a prodigious rate.  (must
> avoid spark hits in my test).
>
> I believe that the light and noise are a very small component and in a
> sealed chamber, a lot of the more energetic light, (uv), will ionize the
> local air anyway and a large portion of these ions will be placed in the
> chamber in the form of heated air as these, in turn, recombine.
> Electrical, resistive, heating of the arc channel is the bulk of the
> energy dissapated, although the ions produced by this little coil have
> been shown by me to account for a very healthy amount of energy.  Again,
> If I can just let them recombine in the ball enclosure, all will go to
> heat.  I am a little concerned that the ball will become dielectrically
> charged and the energy from the ions producing this charge will
> ultimately leak out to the outside air as soak through charging as in
> series capacitor units.
>
> By the way, I plan on scoping the input voltage across the transfomer on
> one channel "A" and the current via a Pearson wideband 1844 CT on channel
> two "B" and create a third mathed channel of A X B for a true time/energy
> plot on my tek TDS 340 digital scope so that I have a real handle on what
> went in.   I'll use my K type thermocouple meter by Precision to take the
> before and after rectal temps on the fixed volume of air within.
>
>  Another problem... the air is trapped and not circulating and will skew
> the results in some fashion, I am sure.  But, still, this is the best I
> have heard of being attempted in this area, yet.

> [...]

Richard,
	I to have some reservations about using a lucite ball but
at these voltage levels everything conducts, or holds a charge, or
bleeds energy at some rate. Its to bad you live in Virginia, we have
at Crane a large Vacumm chamber and plenty of Thermal imaging units.
	I'm sure that a few of our engineers would be curious enough
to launch a short "Engineering investigation" into the phenomena of
electrical discharge heating of atmospheric gases.

Please keep me posted I'm very interested.

Note: It would be nice once again if we could get some e-field
      models for some of this work. Does anybody have a general
      purpose e-field modeler that does more than a torus.

D. Gowin