[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dumpster diving, tube cutting

Tesla List wrote:

> >From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comThu Nov 21 21:56:47 1996
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:56:20 -0700 (MST)
> From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Dumpster diving, tube cutting
>
> Greetings,
>
> Today I went to the local plastics store to get some scrap.  I left with
> enough, but on the way out I had an idea.  I went around back and looked
> in their dumpster.  Bonanza!  I found a bunch of odd pieces with busted
> corners, etc. that were not useful as saleable scrap, but work well for
> HV insulation, etc.  Now I have a bunch more acrylic sheet for future
> projects.
>
> I recently obtained a 9.5" OD PVC pipe (heavy wall) that I was thinking
> of making into a coil form.  The problem that I face is cutting the thing
> off squarely.  Does anyone have any tips?  At this point I think the best
> course of action is to mark it carefully and use a hand saw.
>
> Chip
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>  Chip Atkinson
>  http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/chip/info.htm
>  --- Everyone is someone else's weirdo. ---
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-If you were anywhere near my shop Id say come on over and use the bandsaw, which I think is your best bet for a clean quick cut.
Barring that, your next power alternative would probably be a jigsaw.
Mark the tube carefully (the best way to do this is on any contraption
that you can spin the tube, like a lathe or coil winder, while the tube
is spinning you hold a pen like a cutting tool and mark the tube, this
guarantees a square end) Clamp the sucker down and depending on how much
of the tube is cut-off, either start in from the end or drill a hole (on
the waste side of the line) A metal cutting blade will produce a
smoother cut, and be more controlable. If your saw is variable speed,
dont run it wide open, half speed is good for plastics.
If niether option is available, I would still mark the thing the same
way, and drill the hole if nes. and use a hacksaw blade in a handle
mount for hole cutting.

And above all, remain patient, wear something over your eyes, and get
that damn cat out of here.

Chris