[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

  Big snip ----------------------------------

>Jack,
>
>Saw your mathematical daliences of Nov 5.  I went into my  lab November 5
> Results of multiple experiment yielding physical results posted Nov 6.
>Matters not whether math was correct or flawed.  Physical results on real
>world sutff under controlled conditions supercede math results.
>'Nuff said.
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

--------------------------------------

Richard -

You are correct. I was wrong, however, the math was right. The problem was
that I used the equations incorretly. I realized too late that V/sqrt2 was
possible only if the transfer efficiency was 100% which is not possible. The
final voltage has to be less than v/sqrt2 because of the transfer losses.
These losses are what controls the change of the original voltage to some
lower value. But how much less? You said in your Nov 6 tests there were loud
noises and sparks indicating energy losses. Obviously these losses amounted
to 50% because the voltage dropped to V/2. Thank you for making those tests.
I was concerned that we could not account for the losses. Energy is conserved!

I made some tests that indicated maybe when only a few volts are used in the
test (to avoid contact losses as much as possible) the final voltage
appeared to be over V/2. Can you verify this with your equipment? If not do
you have any comments on what is causing the losses to lower the voltage to
V/2?

Can it be possible that contact losses are always 50% under certain
conditions? This would then make an agreement with both the Coulomb equation
of Coulombs = CV and the energy equation of Joules = 1/2 CV^2. A very
interesting contact phenomenon I have never read about before. This could
have an important effect on relay contact design.

However, as I said before this has little to do with Tesla coil design.
Thank you Chip.

Jack C.