[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: toroid capacitance

Chip:
	Here are the steps I use to measure the EFFECTIVE capacitance
of any terminal:
1. Measure low frequency inductance.
2. Measure self resonant frequency by observing minimum input
impedance at base.  To measure right takes very low impedance
generator.  Alternate method is to measure frequency of maximum
voltage by high impedance probe in far field of coil.
3. Calculate distributed capacitance of coil from frequency
measured in 2.
4. Mount terminal and repeat 2.
5. Calculate total capacitance from frequency measured in 4
and subtract distributed capacitance.
	I have no absolute judge to say this is right, but
think it is a reasonable procedure.  Capacitance values I
get agree pretty well with rules of thumb I posted a few days
ago.
Best wishes,
Ed