[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netFri Nov  8 22:14:57 1996
> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:19:32 +0000
> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comWed Nov  6 21:33:30 1996
> >Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:41:25 -0800
> >From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

> --------------------------------------
>
> Richard -
>
> You are correct. I was wrong, however, the math was right. The problem was
> that I used the equations incorretly. I realized too late that V/sqrt2 was
> possible only if the transfer efficiency was 100% which is not possible. The
> final voltage has to be less than v/sqrt2 because of the transfer losses.
> These losses are what controls the change of the original voltage to some
> lower value. But how much less? You said in your Nov 6 tests there were loud
> noises and sparks indicating energy losses. Obviously these losses amounted
> to 50% because the voltage dropped to V/2. Thank you for making those tests.
> I was concerned that we could not account for the losses. Energy is conserved!
>
> I made some tests that indicated maybe when only a few volts are used in the
> test (to avoid contact losses as much as possible) the final voltage
> appeared to be over V/2. Can you verify this with your equipment? If not do
> you have any comments on what is causing the losses to lower the voltage to
> V/2?
>
> Can it be possible that contact losses are always 50% under certain
> conditions? This would then make an agreement with both the Coulomb equation
> of Coulombs = CV and the energy equation of Joules = 1/2 CV^2. A very
> interesting contact phenomenon I have never read about before. This could
> have an important effect on relay contact design.
>
> However, as I said before this has little to do with Tesla coil design.
> Thank you Chip.
>
> Jack C.

Jack,

I read your earlier post Friday about your suggestion on low voltages.  I
tried them over the weekend and with the keithley electrometer read
exactly half the voltage on both sizes of caps at 10 volts and 2 volts.
The critical part here is to completely shunt and discharge the caps for
hours before the test.  The big electrolytics are especially prone to
drift charging in this low area and can actually receive a volt or two
charge from active meters used in measurement!  Electrometer with their
teraohm inputs and 10 pf input capacitance are not too suseptable to
this.  I have heard of some clown (new energy hack) actually reading an
electrolytic's charge variance with time and claiming that the diurnal
variation in the ether caused this!!!  HA!

Ruchard Hull, TCBOR