[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
> >From harris-at-parkave-dot-netSat Nov  9 21:49:11 1996
> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 20:50:37 -0400
> From: Ed Harris <harris-at-parkave-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
>     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>

> > From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netFri Nov  8 22:14:57 1996
> > Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:19:32 +0000
> > From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
> > noises and sparks indicating energy losses. Obviously these losses
> amounted
> > to 50% because the voltage dropped to V/2. Thank you for making those
> tests.
> > I was concerned that we could not account for the losses. Energy is
> conserved!
> >

> Not so fast! Richard's experiment did not prove that energy was conserved.
> In fact
> he showed that 50% of the energy was unaccounted for. The answer is that it
> was lost to generating sparks and heating resistors, but his experiment did
> not
> account for the loss mechanism. You would have to put the discharge
> resistor
> in a calorimeter or the like to make sure that you really KNOW where the
> energy went. If you don't believe in conventional physics explainations,
> why should
> you even believe in energy and energy conservation anyway?
>
> -Ed Harris

Ed,

I don't swallow text book physics in whole form either, but the energy
conservation laws are ones that I have yet to see really violated.  There
is always a loop hole in peoples experiments where the energy trail can
be picked up.

I am not aware of any disappearance of energy in the cap circuit what
with the resistive heating, and or, the vaporizing of metallic copper
plus the subtle ESR losses associated with the cap that is charging and
the work that must be done to polarize the second caps dielectric will, I
am sure, account for the bulk of the energy seemingly lost.  I posted on
the HV list a consideration for nuclear goings on too. Not quite right
for this list.

Richard Hull,TCBOR