[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What efficiency?!

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> [about fiber-optic linked CT]
> This might not directly relate to the problem being solved here but I
> recently had the idea of using two fibres to monitor my rotary gap
> position/speed and that was to use one to pipe light to the gap and
> the other as the pickup.
> Malcolm

In fact, that is one of my ideas as well.. That will give the
RPM of the rotating gap and then other fibers could be mounted near
the ends of the static electrodes.. This would indicate the TRUE
breaks per second -value when one has a photodiode (or something
fancier) at the receiving end - of course, requires UV transmitting
fibre.. This could be used to _measure_ the time of arc being lit -
perhaps conduction time as well? Might require some fancy lense to
the end of the fiber?

Heh, my new rotating spark-gap will be a monster.. The heavy steel frame
weights already 50kg and should be quite vibration-free.. The disk is 45cm
diameter, made with a large lathe and diamond tools, using 10mm thick
G-10. I'm planning adding forced air cooling/quencing to the static
electrodes and, of course, those fancy fibers.. Should be showy with all
the strange wires going in/out of the system (fiber, air, HV, motor AC)..

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |