[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Voltage multiplier ?

At 12:25 1996-11-25 -0700, you wrote:
>From Hans.Grimstad-at-maxware.noMon Nov 25 11:01:22 1996
>Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:33:02 +0100
>From: Hans.Grimstad-at-maxware.no
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Voltage multiplier ?
>
>Hi !
>
>I built my first coil this summer. It's a small coil with homemade glass
capacitors (Frutopia
>bottles (600 pF each). The power supply is an old ignition transformer
powered from a
>variac.
>
>Problem #1: No spark....  I can light fluorescent tubes with it at a
distance of up to 40-50 cm,
>but that's it. This is obviously not much fun. It is possible to draw a
spark for the coil with a
>grounded rod, but it is not very impressive. 8(
>
>Problem #2: Used neons are hard to come by where I live (Norway). They are
*VERY*
>expensive. A neon rated at 4000V/45ma is 800 NOK (that's more than $120).
>

>OK. Here's the (possibly very stupid) question:
>
>Is it feasible use a Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier instead of a neon
transformer as a
>power source for a small TC  ? If I were to step up the voltage from the
mains (220 V) to 10000
>V, I would need 90 diodes and 90 (very large ?) capacitors. It would be
easier to build
>something like this, than to  wind my own HV transformer.
>Has anyone experimented with something like this ?
>

>Hans J|rgen Grimstad
>Norway

Hi there.

Well, finally another scandinavian guy. I'm from sweden. I've only come across
3 people here in the north. You, me and Kristian in Finland.
Sorry to hear you have problem with the driver for your TC.

But if you search around you will surely find some used or discarded
neontransformers. I did.

So tell me more. I'm interested.

Regards