[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What efficiency?!

Tesla List wrote:

> >From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netSun Nov  3 21:31:39 1996
> Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 06:20:07 +0000
> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: What efficiency?!
>
> At 05:51 AM 11/1/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comThu Oct 31 22:40:51 1996
> >Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:46:00 -0800
> >From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: What efficiency?!
>
> Big snip ----------------
>
>  >
>  I believe would show that we are only putting out about 10-20%
> >of our input energy in air heating spark.
> >
> >Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> --------------------------------------
>
>  Richard -
>
> What do you think of the controlled spark length 'CSL'? Refer to my earlier
> post. Coilers need some easy way to properly measure spark length to
> maintain a level sparking field. The CSL spark takes care of most of the
> problems you mention. The 6 KVA coil with no spark would be zero percent
> efficient. I agree this coil would need a few adjustments by an expert.
>
> Do you have a better method for measuring the energy output. Forget about
> the calorimeter.
>
> Jack C.

I have forgotten about the calorimeter...

I know of know person alive who has ever measured the actual output
efficiency of a Tesla coil! (what is this efficiency?- what are its
parameters-RF, Spark energy, magnetic fields, all?) I also know of no
form or process involving anything about the spark which will yield even
a +/- 20% correct answer to any question regarding same.

I do know of a lot of proposed methods of measuring efficiency with none
of them having either been done, or if they have, a method of
verification or transfer to other systems which are vastly different in
character.

Richard Hull, TCBOR