[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From huffman-at-fnal.govSun Nov  3 21:47:06 1996
> Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 09:06:33 -0600
> From: huffman <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
>     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
> Hi Group,
> First I what to thank/compliment Chip for starting and maintaining a great
> forum for these discussions.
> Second I didn't think this topic would bring quit this much discussion. It
> certainly doesn't help a TC operate any better (slightly off topic, sorry
> Chip), but it very fasinating. One last thought in this area.
> If we take an electron source in a vacuum, TC or TV picture tube without
> the front, vacuum tube, etc, and direct the electrons at a conductor (metal
> sphere, screen grid of a tube, what have ya). Doesn't the conductor begin
> to collect the electrons?

Nope!  They just hit the plate and boune off, a few will create a space
charge in the vaccum dielectric.  With a closed metallic circuit between
the gun and the plate, a current flow would be present.
R. Hull

Where are these extra electrons? Are they moving
> about in the space near the conductors surface?  Are they moving in the
> conductor surface at all? It still seems to me we need both things to store
> charge. That is two materials with different characteristics. Is there
> charge all the way through a dielectric or does it diminish as you go into
> the material? Maybe charge is in the first gnats eyebrow of the conductor.

The charge is in the vacuum of space immediately about the plate.  We
don't need both to store charge.  We only need a dielectric!  We do need
both to deliver and take away charge to and from the dielectric.
R. Hull

> I can image all materials as conductors, after all don't we measure the
> leakage current of 'insulators'? They just aren't GOOD conductors.

Any material body will conduct electricity, but over a 15-18 order of
magnitude deferential! R. Hull