[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tapered Secondary Coil

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

> From scottb-at-aca.caFri Nov 22 20:30:34 1996
> Subject: Tapered Secondary Coil
>

> I have seen some secondaries that are tapered, and some that are not.
What
> (mathematically) is the difference, and what are the effects??
>
> /sb

Scott,

If you use cylindrical winding forms a torroid is probably the best top
terminal with which to control the electric fields near the top of the
coil; it also of course provides some extra capacitance which also allows
greater energy storage for a given output voltage E=0.5CV^2....Now, if all
you have are spheres for top terminals, you'd better use a tapered coil
form or a very large sphere in order to get the same control of high
electric fields near the top of the coil. If there is also another  reason
for tapering a coil, I'm unaware of it.

-Ed Harris