[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Charge, what is it?

Richard Hull wrote:

<snip>

> Their rule #1 is material dielectrics store charge due to electron
> orbital lopsidedness after polarization (over simplified)
>
> Their rule#2 is space stores charge... just because it does.
>
> I maintain that rule #2 is the major maxim and all charge is stored in
> space and space alone!  Matter modifies space with a bunch of
> electrified, linked, material entitys (protons, electrons, neutrons,
> etc.).  A material dielectric usually has a higher dielectric constant
> due to its tendency to modify that local space into a more dielectrically
> favoravble medium.  Highly organized chunks of matter with crystalline
> structures can't play the game, normally, as they phase into
> what we call electical conductors.
>
> Whatever the gut issue is for charge storage, it must start with space!!
> (Which can definitely store charge!!!) any definition which carries over
> to solids must link to this vacuum dielectric definition.
>
> We are not in a vacuum in our world, so our first and major daily contact
> with dielectrics are all solid stuff.  Air seems tricky as a dielectric
> along with liquids, but we ultimately give up saying, hey!, they are all
> matter and composed of molecules and atoms, so charge can be stored.  It
> is when we get to the vaccum capacitor and space holding charge that the
> intuition fails.
>
> Where's the Beef!! (or matter or particle or whatever to store charge???)
>
> At the core, matter is never needed to store any charge... ever!!!!!

How are you defining the word 'charge' in this explanation?!?
By saying that matter is never needed to store charge, you are implying
that the electron is _NOT_ the indivisible unit of negative electric charge.
(Electrons are matter, after all).

Are you suggesting the existence of a particle with zero mass and unit charge?
What a fantastic thing to imagine!

-GL