[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

On 11/01/96 22:25:02 you wrote:

>>From rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-netFri Nov  1 21:59:22 1996
>Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 00:10:54 -0500
>From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
>>Date:          Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:25:16 -0700
>>From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>>To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>>Subject:       Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

>>>From pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comThu Oct 31 21:48:51 1996
>>Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 02:11:50 -0800
>>From: pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com
>>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>>Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

>>><MASSIVE SNIP>
>>>
>>>Good post Bert,
>>>
>>>You've put into similar words what I just wrote in reply!  (I was away
>>>for the weekend.)  The charge resides in the dielectric because that is
<SNIP>

>Phil,
>
>I've looked at this idea and concluded that I would be unable to
>obtain the necessary purity of the containment vessel and electrodes
>to prevent contamination of the ultra-high pure water required.  I also
suspect
>that most commonly available metals which are necessary as the
>electrodes and plates will leach too many metal ions
>into the water through electrolysis that unless you use gold or
>platinum electrodes you will have a short lived capacitor.  This is
>one case where I sure hope that I am wrong.  This could make a  _very_
>compact high voltage capacitor!  I don't know if the dissipation of
>water as a dielectric would be too useful at the low Tesla coil RF
frequencies
>though, just probably good only for big DC storage wells.  If water had low
>dielectric dissipation at RF, microwave ovens would not work.
>
>rwstephens

Just a suggestion, but the containment vessel could be made of plexiglass or
some similar durable plastic.  The conductors could be insulated to prevent
ionic migration into the water, much the same way that we use a conformal
coating on a printed circuit board to reduce contamination and prevent
moisture absorption.

Phil Gantt (pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com)
http://www-dot-netcom-dot-com/~pgantt/intro.html