[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Polyethylene

Hello everyone,
                Thank you all for your ideas and advice. What a
wonderful resource this list is. Bert (Pool), I would be delighted to
read your recipe. So the molecule chains in HDPE are considerably
longer than LDPE. That explains a good deal. The reason I am opting
not to use glue sticks is the number I would have to use to do the
job. The reason for filling the tube is to suppress corona and boost
the voltage rating so a shield may be placed around the outside
(shunt C allowed for). Robert, sounds like the Dow-Corning filler
might be a bit expensive. I will consider wax, but will wait until
the recipes are all in. Plastic has the advantage of also assisting
to glue the thing a bit more solidly.

Malcolm

PS - a note on the braid in addition to my posted experiment. I
checked this out convincingly on my coil at work. One foot of braid
in the primary circuit got nearly as hot as the spark gap electrodes
in a 30 second run. I wasn't actually aware of this until I checked a
few days after doing the experiments. That came about as a result of
a list discussion on what conductor to use to run ground to the coil.