[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New System, was "Real Data--

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: New System, was "Real Data--
>
> >From huffman-at-fnal.govWed Nov 20 22:13:01 1996
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:43:49 -0600
> From: huffman <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: New System, was "Real Data--
>
>     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
> Hi Chuck,
> Thanks for the invite. March sounds like the right time to head for the
> Wisconsin north.
> I had my first experience with two-part epoxy coating last night. I was
> practicing of a smaller secondary (2-3/8" to see how it goes before doing
> my 8" coil. One big mistake was the speed of my jig. I now have a work
> bench with lots of splatters. 200 RPM is way to fast! The other problem I
> had was the small motor overheated and thermally shut down after about 5
> min. I had to turn the whole thing by hand every 10-15 min. :(
> This morning things look pretty good, a little sagging but the heavy
> coating sure does look great!
> How thick do you think your two coats came out?
> Dave Huffman
> ----------

Dave:
	Yes, the RPM during the cureing process was important to realize a
uniform final coat.  I had a small DC gear motor spinning my 8" diameter
form and that proved to work real nice.  It is a product we make at
work, one rejected due to gear noise but it didn't bother me!  I had it
running at about 10-25 RPM during the cure and more like 5 RPM when I
was applying the Behr product.  I am afraid right now I can only offer
an eye ball mesurement on the resulting coating thickness.  I have a set
of mikes but the maximum diameter I can measure at home is 7".  It
appears to be in the .070" range--now that you've made me curious too,
I'll get a bigger mike to check it and let you know.  The coating stops
about 1-2" from the end of the plastic form, so I will be able to get a
before/after measurement.  I kept it revolving for 24 hours and then
applyied the second coat as I remember it from last winter.  The new
winder has a 1/2 H.P. DC motor so the big form should run with no
overloading at all--I hope!  I am off hunting until 11/26 so I won't be
around for awhile.  I'll post an answer next week.

Chuck Curran