[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tungsten vs. Tungsten

Daryl and everyone

[Daryl said:

   I spent several hours today playing around with my arc lamp
   power supply and some tungsten rod and a tungsten carbide lathe
   insert to see which faired better in a torture test.]

Thanks for taking the trouble to look into the idea of using tungsten
carbide. As we can see, it is not an insulator, but different grades
have differing conductivities. A piece that I measured at work using a
DVM was short circuit ( it was an uncoated tooling bit about half an
inch long by 1/4 inch thick, lozenge shaped).

[From Brent:

   Used the round disks that I silver-brazed onto brass
   studs. In all honesty, they ablated (wore) away very quickly. I had
   used 3/8" round tips. I now use 3/16" pure tungsten rod, which is
   smaller, and ablates a bit more slowly. From what I understand, if
   you can cool the electrodes down a bit, they last longer. I plan to
   put a high-velocity blower nozzle on my gap to cool things down.]

My intention is to use tungsten carbide rods, 5mm diameter by 10mm long,
inserted into my s-s electrodes. The electrodes on the disk will be
cooled by virtue of 3000rpm speed, and the 4 stator electrodes are sunk
in turn by large aluminium blocks (2 inch tall by 2 inch diameter
cylindrical blocks). Air could be blown at the gap channels but I hope
not to need to do this.

My interest in using tungsten carbide is because it is more available
for me than the tig welding electrodes. I expect them to be a viable
alternative as long as their conductivity is checked. I am having my
rods made by a local company. The cost works out the same as buying
machine inserts. The material is usually tungsten carbide and ditungsten
carbide ( made by heating metallic tungsten with a small amount of
cobalt as a catalyst) which is sintered at a low temp (900 deg C) and
then machined. It is then high temperature sintered (1300 deg C) at
pressures of several tens of kg per mm sq. Cobalt  is added here as well
to help with the sintering. Co dissolves 30 or 40 per cent by weight of
W and thus helps the mixing and sintering process. Other matls can be
added (ceramic fillers) which will account for differing conductivities.
I will be using the rods end on probably. If I go for disks or other
shapes, edgeways on as RWS suggests is an excellent idea.

Richard Craven, Malvern, England
---
 CMPQwk #1.42 UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY