[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Voltage multiplier ?

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Tesla List wrote:
> Thats about average price for a neon of that size, I would not do the
> multiplier, you need at least 6000v and the ma rating has to be between
> 30-120. the experience Ive had with multipliers Ive built was OK but the

So, that requires 6 steps in a C-W multiplier or 5 steps in some better
solutions.

> voltage always was slow to build up, it took the caps a while to fill. I dont

Let me guess: same size for all caps? ;) Long discharge time is due
to a inproper design. Low-voltage steps carry higher current (power
P=UI must be constant!) You should have higher capasitance at the low
voltage steps. i can point a great reference for a very nice full-wave
rectifier in some IEEE conference records if anyone is interested.
Don't have the article with me right now :(

> think it would be a working solution, the neon anyway will yeild much  better
> results and faster unless you like to solder a lot of diodes and caps.

A lot? For a full wave solution you need 8 caps, 10 diodes and get a
4-stage multiplier with 5 times multiplied output. At voltages as low
as 6kV running from dc is very tempting.

Yes, you will then need massive protection and you will need to protect
it from overcurrent surges during a very rapid discharge. Especially
C-W multiplier is very easy to destroy. Better ones exist.
--
"If the troubles are a bit less sever (say, someone merely hit your keyboard
 with an axe .."                  - Linux System Administrators guide V1.0