[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From paul-at-geeky1.ebtech-dot-netMon Nov  4 21:50:49 1996
> Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:42:57 -0500 (EST)
> From: Paul Anderson <paul-at-geeky1.ebtech-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
> On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Ergo, your hypothesis that the "charge is ONLY found in the
> > dielectric" is necessarily bogus!
> >
> Here's my hypothesis on the matter:
>
> What if the charge is stored in *both* the dialectric and the plates?
> When the dialectric or the plates are removed, the remaining charge in
> both the dialectric and the plates would be diminished, but not
> discharged.  For example, in an air variable cap, whence the air is blown
> away the dialectric has been replaced, and the charge that the cap holds
> is diminished.  Any thoughts?  TTYL!
>
> ---
> Paul Anderson
> Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
> e-mail: starspek-request-at-lowdown-dot-com with subscribe as the subject
> I hear it's hilarious.
> Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
> http://www-dot-netcom-dot-com/~tonyh3/speck.html

As Ben Franklin would say..."Do the experiment!!!!"  I have always lived
by this motto and refer to it as the "Franklin imperative".  A lot of
this discussion would have ended had this been done by others on this
list rather than work from book knowledge or what they "thought" they had
learned in institutions of higher learning.  Don't scurry of to the
references....scurry off to the lab.

Richard Hull, TCBOR