[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comMon Nov 11 23:11:19 1996
> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:45:54 -0800
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comSun Nov 10 21:39:07 1996
> > Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 07:56:40 -0800
> > From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

<snip>
> >Do not electrons exhibit constant acceleration in their orbits around
> nuclei?
>
> Yes and what a piece of magic this is to receive no natural input energy
> and continuously accelerate forever and a day!  (free energy anyone?)
> another marvel of man's twisted logic.  It is all explained well by what
> I consider totally bogus theory.  R. Hull

There's actually nothing twisted or bogus about it.  Centripetal acceleration
doesn't change the speed of a body in a circular orbit, so no energy need enter
(or leave) the system in order for things to be stable.  The orbit of the
earth around the sun has been demonstrating this for the last 4.5 billion years.

<snip>
> > Your implication that Newtonian physics, ie. F = MA, doesn't hold at
> > relativistic velocities and very small size scales.
>
> It holds perfectly for all velocities and for matter particles only!  EM
> waves are not matter, photons are not matter! R. Hull

Although it's true that photons don't have a rest mass, they certainly do have
mass (in every literal sense of the word) when propagating through space.
A photon's mass can be calculated:
Photon Energy = h x v, where v = photon frequency and h = Planck's Constant
E = MC^2,    so Photon Mass = Photon Energy/C^2

F = MA does in fact hold for photons, as evidenced by the fact that gravity
can bend light.  The light from distant stars is quite noticably bent by the
gravitational pull of the sun.

I was wrong when I stated that any massless charge would instantly be
accelerated to an infinite speed.  I believe that the correct answer is
that it would instantly accelerate to the speed of light, which I feel
would eliminate the possibility of the existence of a massless charge,
at least in electrostatic scenarios where charges are stationary.

-GL