[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Polyethylene

At 10:25 PM 11/12/96 -0700, you wrote:
>From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzTue Nov 12 21:49:41 1996
>Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:30:54 +1200
>From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Polyethylene
>
>Hi all,
>          I'd like some advice please. I am wanting to finish my hi-V
>scope probe off by filling the tube. I thought about the ease with
>which hot-melt runs and thought, yeah - polyethylene. I have a large
>collection of old copier toner HDPE bottles. I tried melting a few in
>a pot to pour into the probe tube. I reckon at around 180 degrees C
>in the oven the stuff was on the verge of burning but still nowhere
>near molten. Does anyone have some advice on either how I can do this
>or a suggestion for an alternative filling? I could use wax I guess.
>
>Malcolm

Malcolm,
        Drop the HDPE, which is not amenable to your use, and go back to the
LDPE, the hot melt glue gun feed stock, which is.
        Polyethelyene, whether high or low density, is not marketed with a
specific melting point, as each type has thousands of different structures
(length) of poly, each with it's own melting point, with the softening range
and viscosity of the final product being an average of the molecular size.
        HDPE is not going to turn into a pourable liquid.  The ethylene
chains are simply too long.

        By the way, thanks for the Marx stuff, so long ago.  Sorry I didn't
get around to thanking you before this! :(

Jack