[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: shorted turn?

>>From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzTue Nov 12 22:00:15 1996
>Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:34:36 +1200
>From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: shorted turn?

>Hi Doug,

>> I'm nearing the completion of constructing my first coil system, and
>> have been assuming that I could use a large diameter hose clamp (metal)
>> to secure the ground strap braid to the base of the secondary coil's
>> tube.  I've been wondering though, will the fact that the clamp is a
>> complete circle be a problem, what with the shorted turn?

>You assume correctly - it will be well coupled to the primary. Also,
>throw the braid away and use pipe, copper strap, v. thick wire,
>*anything but*.

>Malcolm

Malcolm,

Wassamatta you don't like braid?  I'm starting to use it a lot now
that I have some in stock.  Picked up a beautiful roll of 1.5 inch
wide, tinned copper braid at the last hamfest.  I like it partly
because you can squish it into a large crimp connector at the end (I
always solder after crimping as a matter of good practice).
Are you poo-pooing it because of something you have been told, or do
you have actual pulse propogation test results in a research paper.  If the latter
is true I'd love to get a copy of it.

Regards,
rwstephens