[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Failure

>Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 18:26:05 -0700
>From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Cap Failure
>

>> Probably not carbon tracking _thru_ the case in the latest failure,
>> since the cap was resting on a thick HDPE sheet. In Richard Wall's
>>case, thru-wall carbon tracking may have been a contributing factor.
>>I've asked him if he had the cap resting on a conductive surface while
>> operating the coil.
[snip]
>> -- Bert --
>
>The cap was flat on its side on 1/4" plywood which was on a concrete
>floor.  My cap was definitely salvagable and works quite well after the
>casing rebuild.  It's now in a wooden containment box.
>
>RWW

Richard,
	At tesla primary voltages, both plywood and concrete are
conductive. I've had a primary lead from my neon fall off and land on
my concrete garage floor. I't arced quite nicely.

Go ahead and use a wood containment box, but please insulate the cap
with plastic holders and standoffs.

	jim