[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Winter Project with New Primary/Secondary

Hello All:
	I've been tied up so much at work I guess I haven't been able to think
"Tesla" much lately.  Today I was able to pick up a big chunk of PVC
pipe from a new sewer going in next to our plant.  I've been waiting
about 4 months for two 12" by 60" lengths of acrylic tube that are going
to be trashed at work some day ( in 1 month to 17 years?), but this
chunk of PVC looked too good to let it get hauled away in the dumpster.
I got a piece that is 15 1/4" O.D. by 59" long.  My present secondary is
8" by 36" so this will be a big change.  I plan on a new cap and
primary, but the power system I built with the pole pig will be all set
now that the bugs are all flushed out (or most of them!).  I am in the
middle now of the final fabrication of a new vacuum gap and I am adding
1/8" diameter thoriated tungsten tips to my stationary electodes on the
current rotary.  The guys in maintenance had many boxes of tungsten rods
in 6" lengths, in various diameters--since they are sure I'm crazy with
this Tesla Coil, they happily supplied two pieces(with heads all
shaking).  I'm going to set up a another secondary winder with a bigger
drive motor and gear reduction unit for this puppy.  I've already got a
motor gear box but it has a 3 phase motor and I want to use a 90 Volt DC
on this gear unit for variable speed drive.  We make 'em all, so I just
got to wait for a Quality reject(or order a Lab sample???).  Hope to
have it wound in 2-4 months and then order the bigger cap than the one
for my present coil.  I guess I could ask the wife for a cap for Xmas??
(It would be knit!)

Chuck