[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First post: Fluorescent lighting

Tesla List wrote:

> >From ed-at-alumni.caltech.eduFri Oct 18 22:17:17 1996
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: First post: Fluorescent lighting
>
> Re: Efficiency
>      It would be very instructive to make comparative measurements
> of light output vs power input for various ballasting schemes.  I
> would be very much interested to see if the high-frequency excitation
> really increases the net light output, at the same power input.  The
> easiest way to make this test would be to set up each configuration,
> use a light meter at some convenient distance, and measure light
> meter readings vs readings of a wattmeter at the input to the device,
> either conventional lamp or power supply for high-frequency exciter.
> Ed Phillips

Indeed this would be interesting.  This was the next step in my process
before our limited budget ran out.  Judging by the eye, however, the
light output seemed comparable using the high frequency, high voltage.

I did hear from one source that the phosphor lining the inside of the
lamp might break down over time when using high voltage.  I did not have
the opportunity to test this theory however.

Phil Gantt