[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Science Bashing?

[ Let's not let this topic go off into the woods.  Classical anectotes
  may be interesting, but they don't appear to serve the list's purpose.
  This list is not a forum for impassioned discussion on how science should
  be done, and what it is and is not.  This list is a forum for sharing
  scientific procedures, results and ideas relating to tesla coils.
   -- Chip ]

>Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:49:15 -0600
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Science Bashing?

>I'm jumping in here with a quick observation - according to the 'it
>must work on paper first' argument, a bumblebee shouldn't be able to
>fly, given what is currently known about aerodynamics. Yet the little
>critter zips along, apparently oblivious to mankind's laws.

   Chip  - we just had this discussion one of the other two lists.
   What should I repeat here?  Bumblebee references on request.
   Just let me say the science didn't say the thing couldn't fly,
   it was an engineer that did.

>>From what I remember, many of the currently 'known' laws of physics
>stem from careful observation, even a few 'let's build it and see what
>happens' events. Heck, the people involved with the Trinity project
>didn't know if the 'gadget' would work or not, but it did, and gave
>the first uncontrolled nuclear explosion.

   It worked on paper, didn't it?

>There is, I think, a balance. Without the pondering 'what-if's and
>let-see-what-happens' people, a lot of knowledge would be missing. Also,
>without the 'try-it-on-paper' people, we might still be dropping items
>off the Leaning Tower in Pisa, Italy.
>
>- Brent

   I agree.  It's like marriage.  Can't do it without two.  Theory and
   experiment are inseparable.  Incidentally, the human mind can substitute
   for the 'paper'.

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.