[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RTQ7.JPG

Quoting "Jeff W. Parisse" <jparisse-at-ddlabs-dot-com>:

> With both bare hands holding a HV lead! God, that picture
> scares the hell out of me! I'm too nervous to do that stunt
> without my trusty four foot broom handle between me and the HV
> lead.

Ever the showman with the high-voltage, my technique is actually
much safer than appears in the image. Not seen is the specially
constructed HV insulated platform that I am standing on while
wearing heavy plastic soled shoes. Since I _know_ I am going to
be holding a HV buss, I placed the single poly insulated wire in
both hands holding my elbows against my trunk. This way there is
no chance of an hand, arm, or elbow brushing up against the wall
or grounded can. The HV buss wire was held in place at both ends
(no bolted or soldered connection), I am standing to the rear of
the cans with the LV bushings on the opposite side, and my body
position allows for a couple of feet of air completely around me.

I have been experimenting with HV for over half of my life. I
have never had an accident or injury. I plan to keep it that way,
but I must impress that I have some idea what I am doing
while 'dinkin' around. Even small factors, like having a fresh
_dry_ pair of shoes AND socks before handling insulated HV
busses. In other words: don't try stuff like this at home without
lots of experience. Fear is very healthy in this business; unless
I have looked everything over at least three times, and I am
satisfied that everything is in order, I do not approach live
circuits. Experience allows the fear to blend into healthy
respect.

> BTW, nice scans!  ;)

Thank you Jeff. You did a great job on the scans. In fact you did
such a great job I may well take you up on the offer again some-
time!

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12