[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Qs

Tesla List wrote:

> >From ed-at-alumni.caltech.eduTue Oct  8 22:33:02 1996
> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 19:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Primary Qs
>
> Quoting,
> "I'm not so sure
> that the non-linear nature of the spark gap will ever allow equations
> to be developed which give results as pure and instantly usable as the
> foregoing equations.  Again, Paschen's equation is fine for fixed smaller
> systems in sealed chambers with known gases at known pressures."
>         To that I would add the even greater variable of the non-linear
> and time varying effect of secondary discharge on the apparent
> impedance/Q of the seconday.  I doubt if this can every be treated
> analytically, and for that reason it seems to me that calculations
> much beyond self-resonant frequency are probably excercises in
> futility, however entertaining they may be.
>         One exception to the above might be if someone wanted to
> develop a very elaborate Monte Carlo simulation of all that is
> going on in a coil charge and discharge.  I think the primary
> gap could be handled pretty simply, but the secondary discharge
> would have to be worked out ion by ion, microsecond by microsecond.
> Almost certainly dooable by someone who is both man enough aned
> and foolhardy and/or dedicated enough to do it, but hardly worth
> the effort unless getting the simulation up and running was
> satisfaction in itself.

Agreed, wholeheartedly!!!  It would be a "labor of love" and require a
special person.  R. Hull

  <SNIP>

> Anyhow, one of the endeavors described is
> Monte Carlo simulations run in the early days using desk calculators
> (mechanical: Frieden, Marchant, etc) plus many months of time to
> work out some of the reactions in explosions.  Those guys had to have
> had incredible dedication and determination!!!

This Monte Carlo simulation is a great Idea!  It sounds like it could
fly for the Tesla coil, even though a person in the know is already
equipped to a limited degree to do them intuitively.  I'll have to glomb
onto the book Dark Suns.  R. Hull