[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length and Gap Dwell Times

Tesla List wrote:

> The coupling coefficient merely governs how long this process will take,
> not the portion of energy lost in the transfer process. The longer this
> takes, the more other losses can reduce the energy left to transfer to
> the secondary/toroid. The overall transfer efficiencies should be
> significantly higher with higher coupling coefficients. The above losses
> provided by Richard are reasonable IF you remove the coupling
> coefficient as a loss.
>
> As usual, flames, brickbats, and rocks are welcomed! :^)
>
> -- Bert --

Bert,

I must mull this over a bit.  Your argument is compelling.  The coupling
coefficient is inded the common flux lines of the two coils and the
multiple feeds of the beats would be the resonant pumping of the
secondary.  Regardless, if 85% of our flux lines were never common to
both coils then 85% of the primary lines would never transfer energy.  I
realize at resonance we are not talking simple transformation.  We are
still talking energy linkage via magnetic coupling to another coil.  If
that coil were moved farther away less coupling means grossly reduced
energy transfer.

  In resonant systems this may or may not affect the voltage output at
all!  When over couplied, with a given gap system, a reduction in
coupling will actually increase spark length dramatically! (increase
output voltage.)  The energy transferred has decreased severely, but the
performance, or spark output, has increased dramatically.  The losses due
to magnetic coupling in our air core systems far exceeds all the total
losses of all the other agents combined.

I have had my doubts about the Corums and the 1/2 cycle theory for some
time.  I hope to do the H2 thyratron testing soon and varying the dwell
to a moderate powered system over a long range and see how it affects the
spark to hopefully agree or disagree with the theoretical approaches.
Naturally I hope to vary the coupling range of the systems independently
at the same time.

Good post and more stuff to digest.

Richard Hull, TCBOR