[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzWed Oct 30 21:49:22 1996
> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:45:07 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

> A number of scenarios involving space propulsion where
> > no matter is ejeced are under study at this time.  This is the very
> > premise of the Electric Spacecraft Journal magazine.  To investigate
> > these possiblilities.  The Tesla coil has a great chance in this area.
> >
> > Richard Hull , TCBOR
>
>      To charge the skin of the craft requires charge separation. I am
> assuming that the skin is, say, positively charged for one craft.
> This implies that the electrons removed from the skin are stored
> somewhere internally (if nothing is to be ejected). Questions : is
> there a nett charge on the outer skin under these conditions? Is the
> craft itself not a self-contained capacitor (no nett external field)?
> In a grounded TC we are charging the terminal at the expense of the
> ground, counterpoise or whatever, and that is external to the
> terminal.
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

We are charging space around the craft as an isolated isotropic
capacitor.  This creates coulombic forces.  We have applied energy to do
this so their is no real magic.  Electric energy to the skin from a
source of power within and a coulombic reaction moves the body.
This has been shown to work by T.T. Brown back in the early 60's as
a possible propulsion method.  Alot of problems stand in the way though
and it is not likely to supply power to lift off the earth.  Only move
about in space.

In the Tesla coil, we are charging the air around the terminal. Yes, we
have the ituitive ground plane , but this would make no difference, for a
1/2 wave coil creates a virtual ground.  The second or "return" plate is
just not needed in the isotropic example.

Richard Hull, TCBOR