[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor C/Peek

Tesla List wrote:

> lotsa' snips
> |
> |>Robert,
> |>
> |>Your post got me thinkin' about coil efficiencies again...

> big snip
> |>
> |>We can compute the ratio of maximum secondary output energy versus
> |>initial input energy per bang:
> |>
> |>   Ep = Initial energy = 0.5CpVgap^2
> |>   Es = Max Sec Energy = 0.5CtVsec^2
> |>
> |>The Energy Transfer Ratio = Es/Ep per bang
> |>
> |>Plugging in some specific parameters for my coil:
> |>My "single shot" low duty cycle output spark length is about 20", which
> |>I estimate to be about 400,000 volts, The toroid capacitance is about 26
> |>pF. My
> |>primary gaps are set for about 19 KV, with a primary tank capacitance of
> |>0.0205 uF. The previously measured primary Q was about 11 with the gap
> |>firing (no secondary), so my primary performance seems typical enough.
> |>Plugging in these values I get:
> |>
> |>   Ep = 3.7 Joules
> |>   Es = 2.1 Joules
> |>
> |>   Es/Ep =  56% (!)  (per-bang)
> |>
> |>This is a much better than 15%...ven higher power, coilin' to ya!
> |>
> |>-- Bert --
> |

> Bert,

Musta' not seen this one first pass.  I think your efficiency is so high
due to non-measured assumptions of Vsec.  If you were just 50Kv too high
in your GUESS you would have 1.6 joules out for an efficiency of 43%.
Estimates of output voltage, especially regarding efficiency, is like
just blurting out a estimated efficiency right off the top of your head.

I realize your are at least out there tryin', but as Rutherford once
said, "you might as well be talking moonshine".  See my post on possible
efficiency measurements and what we need to call output.

Richard Hull, TCBOR