[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reply- Any Reason For This???

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzWed Oct  2 22:56:28 1996
> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 08:11:45 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Reply- Any Reason For This???
>
> Hi Glenn,
>
> > I was thinking
> > of un-winding to the point of strike and
> > see if this coil would produce sparks on its
> > own in the stand alone mode in sympathy
> > with the larger one.  Ideas?
>
> I think by unwinding the coil to that point you will completely
> change its characteristics and simply find that the hot spot shifts
> to another place/frequency.
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

A little humor must creep in here.  Your surmise is right on, of course.

  Bill Richards who is our wise old man and ancient coiler, tells a tale
of youth back in the late thirties when he built a coil and the sparks
were longest on his secondary just about three inches from the top turn.
 Not knowing about primary tune or anything for that matter, he
diligently sawed off the top three inches of the coil and the
longest spark point moved a little further down now.  So, he whacked off
some more, and so on, until he finally got the longest spark off the top
of the coil.  With three sections of his coil lying on the floor he
relized that the resultant spark was not as long as it was originally!

It just goes to show how delicate resonance is, and how intuition is not
always right in science.

Richard Hull, TCBOR