[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Arcing

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-netMon Sep 30 22:28:20 1996
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 11:43:47 -0500
> From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Power Arcing

<Big SNIP of a GREAT post on grounding/arc protective measures...>

Robert,

I've noticed that, even with 3 ground rods and #2AWG wire going to the
base of my 2-coil system, the heavy RF current coming out of the base of
the secondary coil is enough to heavily energize the ground line with
voltage spikes that look to be 600 Volts or more relative to AC ground.
It sounds like you've got your pig located close to your coil, so I can
understand why you're tieing its case to the RF ground. (This sounds
like a different setup than in your remote pig for the  large coil trail
you described on the ftp site...)

I plan to run the pig, ballast reactor, and control box some distance
from the coil, with the rotary and caps somewhere in between the coil
and the pig (but out of strike-range). With this configuration, I'll
probably tie the pig core/case, reactor core, variac, and control box to
the AC ground, but all other parts of the system to the dedicated RF
ground. Your approach of splitting the ground path so that the heavy
current base lead is seperated from the other RF ground wire except very
close to the groundrod sounds like a very sensible approach. With winter
coming on, I'll have a lot of time to plan and lay out better wiring and
grounding.

Thanks again, Robert, for a "keeper" of a post!!

Also... Richard Hull also said in part to Dave Huffman...

> I have never had the fire company over for a visit.  I have set numerous
> fires in the past though.  Most are recorded on tape and scattered
> throughout our video reports.  I have set both parts of my home and the
> lab on fire at different times.  Most all were due to Nemesis running
> near 12KW.   I have a huge CO2 fire etinguisher on hand along with 3
> normal size CO2 units  I have, in addition, 2 halide extinguishers and 3
> dry chem jobs.  Can't be too careful around high power stuff.

> Glad you enjoyed the Xerox of the latest work.

> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard,

Sounds like I may need to beef up my fire protection measures as well!
While I can readily understand fires breaking out in your lab, what
started the fires in the other portion of your house, and what measures
have you taken to prevent them in the future? Were they due to coupled
RF??

P.S. - I also enjoyed the Xerox of your latest work - Thanks!!

Safe (and expert) coilin' to both of you!!

-- Bert --