[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spice simulation pictures

At 04:25 AM 10/15/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>
>From huffman-at-fnal.govMon Oct 14 21:15:11 1996
>Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:48:11 -0500
>From: huffman <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>
>    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
>Hi Phil,
>It would be interesting to model a coil using a geometry based software. I
>have access to ANSYS which will do all kinds of fancy field analysis from a
>physical input, but it is very hard to input the geometry.
>I use AutoCAD and can't imagine making a 'real' copper spiral of wire, i.e.
>1000+ turns. It would be sure to bring my system to a halt.
>Dave
>----------

>>  Dave -

The latest version of the JHCTES computer program does exactly what you are
looking for. The program is based on empirical design, that is, it is based
on both theory and data from real coils. All complex engineering projects
must use this method. I tried to customize Spice for Tesla coils but without
success.

The program is geometry based and uses the physical characteristics of the
coil for inputs. The problems of secondary coil self capacity and terminal
capacity have been solved. The program outputs can be easily checked by
tests you can perform. The program is for classical coils only. There is not
enough reliable data available at present to develop a program for
magnifiers, tube, etc. coils.

The program has gone through several difficult revisions. However, it
appears to now truly represent a classical Tesla coil. It has been an uphill
battle but only time will tell how successful the program will perform. One
of the main problems in the past has been the lack of good test data to base
the program upon. The goal is to have a program that makes it possible to
design a coil that will be guaranteed to work when it is built. In the past
coils have been built by trial and error which was wasteful in both time and
money. It is hoped the new JHCTES program will eliminate this undesireable
method of building coils.

The program will be available as soon as I get back reports from coilers who
are cheking the program against tests of their coils. I plan to post a test
and calculation procedure in the Tesla List to show how some of the program
works.

Jack Couture