[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Tesla List wrote:

> >From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netMon Oct 21 21:43:07 1996
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:27:50 +0000
> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>
> At 04:25 AM 10/20/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >From wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-comSat Oct 19 21:28:18 1996
> >Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 06:59:13 EDT
> >From: Mark S Graalman <wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
> >

> > Big snip
> ---
> However, in a circuit where the inductance is large compared to the
> capacitance, like the secondary circuit, I would guess this is a
> possibility. The Tesla coil system would have to be a DC type that could
> leave the toroid with a high voltage charge. This could affect the secondary
> ringing. I have never heard of anyone checking for this kind of charge or
> even if it is possible. I do know that on AC systems when they are turned
> off there is somtimes a charge left on the outside of the secondary coil.
> Another experiment for the big coil researchers. What do you think, R.Hull
> and R.Quick?
>
> Jack C.

Jack,

The reamining charge on a tesla coilis purely electrostatic in nature and
relates to the ion charging effect of the Tesla coil. (and a number of
more subtle influences)

The Tesla coil is a charge pump, and sourcer of electrons.  A large
number of experiments over the years here in Richmond have shown this to
be the case for sure.  We have used electrometers to verify the charge
type and quantity of charge transfered over a number of ranges.

The Tesla coil, whether AC powered or DC powered, is about as
electrostatic in nature as it is electrodynamic!  Modes of operation can
be selected which favor the various forms of output by experienced hands.

We have powered DC Electrostatic motors and even large capacitor motors
(200gram rotor) by collecting the DC charge from a running 15 watt AC
powered Tesla coil.  The collected charge is pure DC electrostatic
potential and no rectification of the normal form is taking place.  i.e.
No thermionic or field emission (mean free path is virtually zero for
electrons in air.)  We are collecting power from as far away as 1 meter.

Richard Hull, TCBOR