[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark gaps

>>From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comMon Oct 21 21:17:39 1996
>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 03:25:49 GMT
>From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: spark gaps

>>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:53:01 -0500 (CDT)
>>From: Mike Hammer <mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net>
>>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>>Subject: Re: spark gaps

>>>IT's quite! I've used one for 2 years for a shop vac when I'm not
>>>blowing my gap;) It will really quench your gap.

>>OK I will check that out. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of their catalog around
>>here somewhere.

>>So then I just suck air through a regular static gap with a vacuum cleaner
>>motor?
>>How would that be different than blowing air through it with a blower or fan?
>>I can see that with a really strong vacuum the velocity might be greater.

>MIke,
>	With either pressure or vacuum quenched gaps using blowers,
>only a few psi difference in air pressure will results. So, there
>should be only a slight difference in function. Now if you were to use
>a high pressure air source to blow out the arc, there will be a
>significant air pressure increase which will change the arc's
>characteristics and effect it's functioning.

>	jim

All,

I've been meaning to share my thoughts on the use of a vacuum cleaner
blower to negatively pressurize a fixed gap spark gap container and
draw outside air through the gaps and then after electro-treating the
nitrogen in the air into nitric acid and the oxygen onto ozone, this
nasty stuff gets sucked through the windings of the blower motor,
since vacuum cleaner blower motors are designed that the air sucked by them
passes over and through the motor windings for cooling.  Has anyone ever
heard of the concept that ozone attacks electric motor insulation and shortens
motor life?  Somehow this design concept appears flawed to me.

rwstephens