[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A few questions

Kyle,

Check out the information on the Tesla ftp site:
  ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/maillist/misc/    and
  ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/misc/

You may also want to check out the pictures in some of the
subdirectories within:
  ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/

Another good area for files is:
  http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/files/electron.htm

Also, _please_ read the Tesla Safety FAQ on Chip's site before
attempting to build your coil:
  http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/chip/safety.htm

The voltage and current levels on even a small coil can be lethal. Once
you've had a chance to review the materials on the above sites, you'll
have the answers to most of your questions. Some very brief answers are
given below. If, after studying these sources, you still have questions,
ask again. BTW, how old are you?

Good luck on your science project, and safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --

Tesla List wrote:

> >From kylechad-at-airmail-dot-netSun Oct  6 20:06:45 1996
> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 13:52:12 -0500
> From: Kyle Chadwick <kylechad-at-airmail-dot-net>
> To: "'tesla-at-pupman-dot-com'" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: A few questions
>
> Hi,
> I am in the middle of making my first Tesla coil and I have a couple of
> questions. Please answer as many as you can.
>
> 1. The plans I have say to take some insulation off the primary for the
> tap. What is a tap?

A movable connection (typically an alligator clip) which permits you to
select the appropriate number of primary turns necessary to "tune" the
primary tank circuit to the secondary/discharge terminal.

> 2. I need to adjust the spark gap until I get the largest arc, right?

No. You need to tune for maximum output (via the primary tap). Once
you're in tune, you can increase power by increasing the gap spacing.

> 3. For the terminal I going to use a Styrofoam ball wrapped in metal
> duct tape, will that work?

Yes. But a toroidally shaped discharge terminal may work even better.
This can be made from a couple of pie-plates, some flexible aluminum
dryer ducting, and aluminum tape.

> 4. for the insulation on the secondary I am going to use three cans of
> spray on acrylic spray, does it need more?

This will probably work. Gloss Polyurethane or Behr Build50 epoxy also
works quite well.

> 5. the plans call for a 6000v transformer and a .005 uf cap, do you think
>    that a 15kv neon light transformer and 12 wine cooler salt water caps
>    would work?

Yes. Wine cooler caps, although lossy, will work fairly well, and
they're very inexpensive. Each bottle has about 500 pF of capacitance,
so that 12 would give you about 0.006 uF. They should withstand running
off a 15 KV source for short runs.

> 6. It calls for a choke, but I thought because i have a neon light
> transformer that I don't need it. Is that right?

You won't need a ballast on the primary of your neon. You MAYwant to put
in protective RF chokes and caps on the neon's secondary to help protect
it from RF.

> 7. I Am doing this for science fair, can you think of any problems or
> questions that a Tesla coil will solve?

Tesla coils demonstrate various properties of High Frequency/High
Voltage. Small units are usefull in detecting vacuum leaks, or for
energizing "plasma globes". A HF transformer is used to generate HV for
TV sets.