[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First post: Fluorescent lighting

>>From pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comMon Oct 14 21:22:41 1996
>Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:04:42 -0700
>From: pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: First post: Fluorescent lighting

>Hello everyone.  I am new to this group and thought I should add a few
>bits of information for your assessment.  After communicating with Chip
>via email, he thought this information would be of interest to readers.
>This first posting may be a bit lengthy, but bear with me and you may
>find it worthwhile reading.  First, a little of my background:
<snip>
>During the years, I have given much
>consideration to Tesla coils and the phenomenon associated with high
>frequencies and high voltages.  This led me some years ago to develop a
>means for reducing the power consumption in fluorescent lighting systems.
>In fact, in 1991, I constructed a device, actually a miniature Tesla
>coil, to accomplish this end.  Being unsuccessful in obtaining funding
>to further develop, produce and market this device, I decided to see
>if my employer was intersted in the technology.  They were not.  So,
>I decided instead to release this information via the internet in the
>hopes that someone will put it to good use, or perhaps ask more questions.
<snip>
>I constructed a simple prototype coil using 28 guage wire, approximately
>1-1/4 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inches in height.  The turns ratio
>was about 10 to 1.  At resonance, this yields a voltage transformation
>ratio of about 100 to 1.  The  resonant frequency was about 6MHz.  When
>the primary was excited with an RF generator and the secondary connected
>to a 40 watt fluorescent tube with a single wire (return path through
>the air), the lamp could be fully illuminated with less than 6 watts.
>By adjusting the input voltage, the lamp could easily be dimmed for
>lower light output.  At low light output, the lamp could be illuminated
>with as little as 1.5 watts.  What is most significant, is that the lamp
>produced no heat.  In fact, I was able to fully illuminate a fluorescent
>lamp that was "burned out" and would not work in a conventional fixture
>that used a 60Hz ballast transformer.

>It doesn't take much imagination to see the potential savings in energy.
>Considering that in conventional systems, both the lamp and the ballast
>transformer will dissipate considerable heat loss, this method will
>produce light with no detectable heat loss, and at improved efficiency.
>If we were to consider that a typical ballast transformer wasted no
>energy in the form of heat, lighting a fluorescent lamp using only 6
>watts as compared to 40 watts is an 85% reduction is power consumption.
>If this technique were applied nationwide, the U.S. could reduce total
>power consumption by about 42.5%.

>So, that is what I have in a nutshell.  Any comments?

>Phil Gantt

Phil,

Welcome aboard!

Your observations and discovery about ways to save  _bigtime_ in
electrical usage through high frequency drive to fluorescent lighting
is a subject which I personally know two other fellows have tackled
thinking it was worthwhile.  Both were easily able to demonstrate
substantial reductions in power consumption compared to normal
practice at 60 Hz.  I am not suprised at your failure to 'interest' big money.
It's already tied up in the present inefficient yet very profitable power
conglomerate!  It continues to baffle me to this moment that insulation for your
home is not made illegal by the government!  Such as they are in bed with
the big utility and oil companies.  If you were to be able to dig up
those patent drawings of the alleged 200 MPG carburetor, I'll bet you
would find a similar super-efficient fluorescent lamp driver circuit
in the same batch of 'supressed' files.

Here on the Tesla List we have the feedom (still) to pursue the
making of big electrical discharges in air with apparatus that we can
make in our home lab.  As soon as Big Brother discovers a profitable
use for what we do, this list is doomed.

Sorry to de-ionize your mercury vapour lamp, but I really can
sympathise with your frustration.  I also wish to encourage you to
not give this up!  If you need a test arena for your 6 MHz cold
lighting technology I would love to give it a test home in my new
3500 square foot Shelburne Laboratory as a primary source of shop
lighting, and also as outdoor yard lighting.  Contact me privately if
interested in a follow up on this.  The timing could be perfect as I
am taking possession of the new facility in just two weeks.

Robert W. Stephens
Lindsay Scientific Co.
Ontario, Canada