[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor construction

At 10:25 PM 10/13/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>From bmcpeak-at-gte-dot-netSun Oct 13 22:17:28 1996
>Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 08:04:53 -0500
>From: Brad McPeak <bmcpeak-at-gte-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Capacitor construction
>
>Hello All,
>I would like to get the list subscribers input on capacitor construction. I
>have built several roll caps ala TCBOR, they work great.(Thanks Richard H.)
>I would like to build a Vertical plate cap. One thing that escapes me is how
>do you bond the plates to PE or otherwise keep them from sliding down in a
>vertical Cap? I have seen it mentioned about clamping the the stack
>together, would this not hinder the air from escaping if tight enough to
>keep the plates from vibrating down? I will not be able to vacuum the cap
>down. Since hot melt glue is PE could this be run in a thin border around
>the edge of the metal would it continue to hold the plate under oil? And
>last would Polystyrene which is fairly rigid work better as far as bonding?
>I believe its electrical properties are close to PE? Thanks in advance.
>Brad McPeak
>E-mail bmcpeak-at-gte-dot-net
>McPeak Antiques
>http://home1.gte-dot-net/bmcpeak

Brad,

I don't think you need to worry about bonding the plates to the poly
dielectric. Just stack'em up. When I built mine I made six high value
caps which I wired in series. Each individual cap was clamped between
2 plexiglass plates. I just put a couple stout rubber bands around each
assembly to hold it together. When everything was ready for final assembly
I removed the rubber bands and placed each unit into the tank. I had cut spacers
for each end to wedge everything together tightly.

After filling with oil the air will slowly bubble out. I waited a week and
broke it in at low power on my coil. After every run more air would come out.
Now its 3 months later and I have run it at up to 1.5 KVA and it still bubbles
a little air.

My experience with hot glue suggests it is incompatible with Mineral oil.
An early prototype cap that I made had the plexiglass plates glued together
with hot glue. After immersion in mineral oil the hot glue debonded and
floated free.

Mike Hammer
mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net