[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: multiple resonators

Tesla List wrote:

> >From 100624.504-at-CompuServe.COMTue Oct 15 22:09:49 1996
> Date: 15 Oct 96 06:03:16 EDT
> From: Alan Sharp <100624.504-at-CompuServe.COM>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: multiple resonators
>
> Richard
>
> > I have put a section on one
> >of our old tapes where Duane Bylund runs 6 resonators simultaneously from
> >his magnifier like solid state drive.  It was a real hoot!!
>
> Was this the set up that he describes at the end of his book? (He hadn't built
> it
> at that point.) How did it go? It's something I want to try myself.
> I'ld get the tape but UK video is not compatible.
>
> Alan Sharp (UK)

Alan,

Duane and I correspondended over a long period of time and traded a few
tapes back and forth.  He sent a number of interesting segments on his
tapes to us.  The most advanced and bizarre episode was where he was
running 6 resonators with 3 standard "Bylund" drivers!!!

He had an EPROM which was burned to allow the drivers to be phased
according to a number of schemes which were dip switch selectable.  Each
driver was powering two resonators 180 degrees apart in a circle of
resonators.  In one amazing senario, he out-phased all of them so the sum
would cancel all the action of the RF fields.  With sparks blazing from
each resonator, he lowered a plasma lamp into the center of the coil
group.  sparks actually hit the bulb, but not gas illumination occured
within the lamp globe.  His power level was a kilowatt total.  Next he
added all voltages through phasing and the bulb lit from many feet away!
With the precise control of the electronic switches he had infinite
control over the fields.  I was very impressed with Duane and his work.
It is only due to his supplement to his book that I still hold out hope
of considering the Tesla coil as a lumped circuit!

I got into the coilin' business for the sparks originally, but have seen
a lot of wonderful things along the way over the last 10 years.  Bylunds
work was a high point.  Even though I really don't consider the
electronic system a real competitor for spark records it stands as a
uniquely controlable device where many research opportunities exist.  It
is the very raggedness and imprecision of the air arc which attracts my
efforts.  However, I can appreciate all efforts to understand science.

Richard Hull, TCBOR