[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Failure

<<
 Welcome Back!

 Probably not carbon tracking _thru_ the case in the latest failure,
 since the cap was resting on a thick HDPE sheet. In Richard Wall's case,
 thru-wall carbon tracking may have been a contributing factor.  I've
 asked him if he had the cap resting on a conductive surface while
 operating the coil.

 In the latest failure, no obvious cause was apparent, but clearly
 something caused significant pressure rise in the cap. Closer
 examination will be done, and the capacitor will hopefully be
 salvageable.

 -- Bert --

Bert,

I checked my failed capacitor last night.  I see no signs of any arc through
the case.  The cap was mounted in a wooden cradle, supporting the cap at each
end and cushioned with two layers of 1/4" foam weatherstripping.

Ed Sonderman