[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid-state TC - transformer design

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Tesla List wrote:
> Just to reply from experience-- Before I knew that neon transformers were
> available cheap, I rewound half of one that was blown.  I originally
> tried the technique mentioned above.  I did it so that the voltage
> between layers was even rather than increasing in one direction (right or
> left).  I used mylar between the windings for extra insulation.  The
> problem with trying to snake the wire back to one side was that it left
> me with a very lopsided coil.  The next time I wound one, I just went
> back and forth.  The results were much better.  Granted this was the

I know from experience too that coil will not be easy to make with
that method. I desided to make the next transformer with the even
distribution method. I will *not* take the wire back from one side
to the other within the transformer. I make it layer by layer and
bring all the ends out from the bobbin. Then, it is just a matter
of connecting all the layers in series.

I have another reason for such an attempt too. I have a deffinate need
for a stepped transformer turns ratio posibility. I need the layer ends
anyway. So, why not just bring them out?

I know it will mean insulation problems. Use plenty of insulating tubing
around the wire you are bringing out in a hv transformer!

Then a small correction: by interleaving secundary and primary like this:

    sssss      sec.
    ppppp      prim.
    sssss      sec.
core-will-be-here

will not halve the leakage inductance. Leakage inductance will be
approximately 1/4 of the non interleaved one.
--
"If the troubles are a bit less sever (say, someone merely hit your keyboard
 with an axe .."                  - Linux System Administrators guide V1.0