[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark gaps

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-netTue Oct 22 21:44:46 1996
> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:04:58 -0500
> From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: spark gaps
>
> >>From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comMon Oct 21 21:17:39 1996
> >Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 03:25:49 GMT
> >From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: spark gaps
>
> >>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:53:01 -0500 (CDT)
> >>From: Mike Hammer <mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net>
> >>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >>Subject: Re: spark gaps

> >>OK I will check that out. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of their catalog around
> >>here somewhere.
>
> >>So then I just suck air through a regular static gap with a vacuum cleaner
> >>motor?
> >>How would that be different than blowing air through it with a blower or fan?
> >>I can see that with a really strong vacuum the velocity might be greater.
>
> >MIke,
> >       With either pressure or vacuum quenched gaps using blowers,
> >only a few psi difference in air pressure will results. So, there
> >should be only a slight difference in function. Now if you were to use
> >a high pressure air source to blow out the arc, there will be a
> >significant air pressure increase which will change the arc's
> >characteristics and effect it's functioning.
>
> >       jim
>
> All,
>
> I've been meaning to share my thoughts on the use of a vacuum cleaner
> blower to negatively pressurize a fixed gap spark gap container and
> draw outside air through the gaps and then after electro-treating the
> nitrogen in the air into nitric acid and the oxygen onto ozone, this
> nasty stuff gets sucked through the windings of the blower motor,
> since vacuum cleaner blower motors are designed that the air sucked by them
> passes over and through the motor windings for cooling.  Has anyone ever
> heard of the concept that ozone attacks electric motor insulation and shortens
> motor life?  Somehow this design concept appears flawed to me.
>
> rwstephens

Robert,

I have used the "Vacuum Quencher" idea for years now and my blower is
still doin' great inspite of the, often, rather humid air here.  If NOx
or ozone were a problem I would think this would be the town to test that
theory in!  Even if this had a very negative effect on the system,
surplus blowers are cheap!  Being of the, " I'll never see that one
again" mentallity, I always buy a spare of any major component in a
system when I buy the original.  This is just incase a failure mode is
experienced.

The original concept hit me in 1989 when I thought that the air would
never be any colder or purer that if it was immediately sucked  over the
gaps from still otuside air.

Richard Hull, TCBOR