[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primaries

Yesterday I wrote...

>     An analysis based on a dynamic primary Q of 10 suggests that the
> lower in frequency I go, the smaller the gap losses become.

I realized last night there might be a sting in the tail as well.
While the analysis did show peak gap dissipation drop with frequency
(for a given cap energy), it is also going to take longer for the pri-
sec transfer to run to completion at a given k which means longer
gap conduction time. It seems I am done unless this relationship is
non-linear over time! Back to the math. If this is so, it appears the
only way to minimize these losses is to use a high value of k - i.e.
magnifier with close coupled driver.
     I also realized that higher break rates rather than higher bang
energy will simply mean losing less more often. I say go for it with
the MOSFETs Alan! In fact, I would expect expect your efficiency to
scale much better as you up power.

Despairing,
Malcolm

PS - I can quite understand how Tesla felt when confronting these
issues. He may not have been totally aware what he was up against but
he knew things weren't as good as he hoped for. As Richard Hull
adroitly put it in the Guide, the laws of physics can be cruel.