[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMP cabinet/aquisitions philosophy

Tesla List wrote:

> >From ed-at-alumni.caltech.eduSat Sep 28 21:31:42 1996
> Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:39:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: EMP cabinet/aquisitions philosophy
>
> Re: Big MG Sets
>         Where on earth would one store something like that,\
> and how could it be transported?????
>         A lot of stuff that goes into surplus is sent there
> for tax reasons having to do with depreciation.  Have never
> gotten a coherent story on just what is going on, but from
> time to time have been forced (at least coerced) into giving
> up good lab gear for surplus, then having to get in the queue
> for capital expense money to replace it.  Bean counters sometimes
> seem to have "no brains at all".
> Ed Phillips

Ed,

Actually a modern 3 phase 1 megawatt desiel MG set is a rather smallish
affair with 80% of the bulk being the desiel!  The weight is another
matter!!  A 1 megawatt generator might take up only 30-40 square feet of
floorspace (minus the fuel storage tank.)  It would weigh about 2 tons
though.

 Bill Richards (one of our members)  had a 1.5 megawatt MG set at the FAA
Federal radar site he worked at.  I saw him crank it many times while
visiting him at work as thunderstorms approached.  It was housed in a
nice new, but small house trailer.  The radiator was outside on a pad.
Exhaust stack went out through the roof. The fuel tank was a 16,000
gallon job undeground.  It was a deafenning monster when you were in the
trailer with it.  The trailer contained all the relay racks of 3
phase switch gear and the giant batteries for starting and emergency
backup, too.

Dave Sharpe (another of our members and fellow engineer) is constantly
harping about getting "off the grid"!!  I tell him he is welcome to get
an MG set, but as long as the power company just happens to supply a drop
to my house, I'll let them do the dirty work.

We can get these sets surplus with an AC motor (isolation) for about
$600.00 for a 200KVA system.

Richard Hull, TCBOR