[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Qs

Malcolm wrote:

> Q does trend up with increased gap current showing a drop in gap
> resistance. It would be useful to get readings for much higher
> voltages but the supply and caps on hand wouldn't allow it.

This observation would agree with the data from 'Gaseous Conductors',
where the author noted that the current *density* in an arc remains
relatively constant as the gap current is varied.  This would mean
that if the gap current were doubled, then the arc cross-section
would roughly double, cutting the resistance by half.

> I guess the recipe is : high L/C ratio at a high voltage for lowest
> losses. There is hope yet.

That seems right to me, insofar as SQRT(L/C) should be raised until
it is about 30 times Rgap (point of diminishing return IMO).

-GL