[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next

>Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 14:49:54 -0700
>From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next

[snip of prior messages]
>Ed,
>
>There is definately something interesting going on in your system!

[snip]
> Jim's system saturates his pig, but it
>seems to run OK (with perhaps some fairly high voltage spikes as the pig
>comes into/goes out of saturation in series with the ballast...).
Bert,
	Good thought, I'd not even considered the effects of the pig's
saturation on the ballast current.

>If you have an old 15 KV neon laying around, try tying the secondary of
>the neon across the pig output, and scoping or taking a voltage
>measurement on the primary of the neon while increasing the variac
>setting. This is a "poor-man's" equivalent to a potential transformer.
>If you see signs of significant "flattening" of the sinusoidal tops on a
>scope, or any marked flattening of output vs input voltage, pig
>saturation may be what you're fighting.

I liked this idea on first thought but, if the ballast really is
causing 75-80kV spikes on the pig's output, the neon will be smoke.

[snip]

>Jim - could your MicroSim SPICE model be modified to simulate the
>effects of pig core saturation??

Yes,
	But, I'm just using the Evaluation version and It only has a
3C85 "real core" model. I would have to learn to edit this model to
make it look like a silicon iron core. Tim of NASA might be able to
help. (if he's on this list?).

	jim