[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: CAPACITOR QUESTIONS !?!

Tesla List wrote:

> >From ccudahy-at-calumet.yorku.caThu Sep 19 22:34:54 1996
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:49:12 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Chris Cudahy <ccudahy-at-calumet.yorku.ca>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: CAPACITOR QUESTIONS !?!
>
> >> BTW, as long as were talking about LDPE, is there much of a
> >> difference (for cap use) between LDPE and HDPE ? Are their
> >> properties about the same ?
> >
> >In general Tesla coil applications you will find the LDPE to be
> >much more versitile and useful than HDPE. A good example: in
> >capacitor applications where any bend or curve of the dielectric
> >is required HDPE will "craze" with microfractures if it is
> >stressed excessively. These stress cracks cause premature failure
> >of the dielectric = don't use it in rolled caps where the rolled
> >design gives x2 the value per given plate area.
>
>  (I'm kind of stuck with it, since the only supplier I could
> find around only had 30mil in HDPE, unless I wanted to special
> order 300lbs :) I'm thinking of gently heating it as it rolls,
> hopefully this will prevent cracking, or I'll go for a larger
> diamater and use a pail or something larger than PVC pipe
> to stuff it in, so the HDPE is not stressed as much.
>
> Comments ?
> Chris
> +--------------------------------------------------------+
> |Chris Cudahy             | B.SC. CS/Math - getting there|
> |ccudahy-at-calumet.yorku.ca | Swim Bike Run Colapse        |
> |http://www-home.calumet.yorku.ca/ccudahy/www/home.htm   |

Chris,

Why not make flat plate cap(s)? You can use heavy duty aluminum foil for
plates. Multiple thicknesses work very well when immersed in
mineral/transformer oil as long as you get the air out. If you orient
the plates vertically and don't clamp them together too tightly, the air
will work out from plate vibration when you use it in TC service. By
gradually increasing the voltage and run times you should be OK.

Safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --