[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Home brew capacitor

Quoting Ian Hopley ---->  i_hopley-at-wintermute.co.uk

Quoting Doug Swanson <des-at-ellijay-dot-com>:

> Hmmm...  I'd often considered the option of using a microwave
> oven transformer, since I have about a half dozen of them, (
> plenty of spares if _one_ was to burn up ?) but I am not sure
> what their ratings are.  But they seem appropriate for driving
> high frequency, high voltage circuits, ie. microwave
> generation... Anyone tried this?

My friend Dave Hartwick has with good results. He ungrounds one
end of the HV winding from the transformer core, solders on an
extension, and insulates it with hot glue. This way he can wire
several microwave transformers in series without "hot-coring".
He has written to me that he was able to build up a 4-5 kVA 12 KV
power supply in this fashion that was remarkably solid. He
indicated that these power supplies do require some external
ballasting when used in Tesla coil applications. Some of you guys
overseas might find this approach helpful.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12