[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 50 KVA Power Supply

Quoting Glenn <gcerny-at-megspo.megsinet-dot-net>:

> Richard,

> What kind (aka how big) of service is the local utility
> providing you with?  Anthing extrordinary about your
> feed?

Not really. It basically runs like this: four wire 7200 volt
three phase (by which I mean that each phase to ground is 7200
volts) is run in on poles to the boundry of our housing
development. At this point the cables are routed underground to
feed individual pad mount transformers.

I have not had the opportunity to track the routing of any
specific cables, but I did have the good fortune of assisting
the utility electrician when he was here diagnosing and shunting
a burned out cable that feeds my house. A single 7200 volt cable
and a ground (earthed neutral) are run to the HV bushings of a 50
kVA pad transformer that supplies 120/240 (plus an earthed
neutral) to the five houses on our circuit.

The cable running to each house is all identical to mine. This is
the same cable that the utility electrician indicated would carry
600 amps in a pinch. There is a small covered terminal box in the
yard and the cable that runs from this terminal box to my house
is heavier. I ordered 200 amp service when the house was built
and you can see the cables are heavier and I have two 12 foot
long grounding rods instead of one along the foundation. Inside I
have a larger breaker box.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12